Friday, April 24, 2009

call me anne shirley

anne with an "e" please.  for those of you that read this blog, i am referring to the one and only Anne girl from Anne of Green Gables.*  i make this reference because as some of you may or may not know, I am not only a filmmaker, but also and early childhood educator.  yup.  i just completed my first semester in a teacher licensure program. one busy summer and a semester of field experience to go and i will be a licensed educator.  i also just finished up a long term teaching position at probably the best preschool in the state which put into perspective where i would like to spend my days.  but back to the reference...anne was an imaginative, high-spirited girl who wanted to see the world.  she had ambitions of going to college and becoming something great.  but because of circumstances beyond her control, she had to take a position as a teacher in her hometown.  i write this because my whole life i have looked to anne as an inspiration, i saw a lot of myself in this fiery red-headed canadienne.  i also avoided the teaching profession with as much passion as i put into my love of film and music.  my reason was because i saw how hard my mother (a teacher) worked everyday with little thanks and pay.  and now, here i am, preparing to be a teacher of the earliest learners and i look back and see how all signs have always pointed this way.  i respect teachers with every fiber of my being.  the teachers in my past have had an impact on me that is of the highest value.  now i am joining their ranks of long days and quiet thanks.  as for anne, she wanted to be something great, and she did, she ended up a teacher, but also got to see the world.  i hope i can do the same. i am anne shirley.

*note - i refer to the movie as well as the books...but megan follows' portrayal in the tv movies is embeded in my mind as THE anne shirley.

5 comments:

Miss Crys said...

This was such a sweet post Mel...I think Shirley is a wonderful thing to be...the silent little one, deserving so much more than the world can offer!

HM said...

awe. i love this bloggy blog mel. i love you! you're amazing my sister!

Rachel said...

Ta-Da! You are so great!

Sara said...

no calling greater than a teacher--that's my goal with mothering and career. good job with all of your accomplishments little one!

Justin said...

Melanie I think that is awesome. I have reflected on this and I was telling Brecken a while ago that the people who have had the greatest impact on me and touched my heart deply have been my teachers--helping me recognize that I can be who I am and grow into creativity and expression and things that my peers would normally ridicule, but my teachers believed in. I had a dream about Ms. Borg soem weeks ago and I felt compleleld to look up her number and call her and tell her how much she meant to me in a very awkward and lonely period in my life. You are doing a great thing. I am actually planning to use my MFA to teach one day. And as for Anne Shirley--you can stand along with her proudly.